Drew Brown

 I've had a few best friends over the years and I seem to loose them all somehow. One such friend was Drew Brown. We met when I was in the ninth grade for the second time. It was near the end of the school year, last quarter I believe. We had a class together and hit it off right off the bat. I had long hair and wore it in a pony tail sometimes. I reminded him of one of his favorite uncles. He was very smart and  talented artist. The kind I inspired to be. He could write anything, draw and paint. We also shared a love of old rock music.

He is now a writer for the Associated Press.  
      There was a time where we hardly were apart, we were always getting high or drunk. We had so many good times. One particular night we went out parting, started about 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Me him and Jack Abney were drinking and taking some pills we had found in a medicine cabinet. I dont even remember what the pills were, we just knew they would get us high. We may have been smoking pot but i dont remember. We were riding around doing stupid shit in my car. Donuts in a school yard jumping hills just the kind of shit that should have gotten us killed. I remember riding down bloomfield road and Jack opened the front door of the car and leaned out, he was looking under the door with his head inches from the pavement while I was driving. Crazy isn't it? We were. Jack had to be somewhere so I dropped him off. Drew started feeling real bad and sick it was only about 9, but he wanted to go home. He was so fucked up. I was driving him home and as I turned unto another road he opened the door to throw up. i slung him out of the car. He rolled for what seem a 100 feet and laid there face up. I was scared to death I thought I had killed him. I slammed on the brakes and went over to him. He was looking up at me. For fear of being arrested I told him Drew come on get up get in the car. He looked at me with bewilderment in his eyes and said "jody man I am in the car". Funniest shit I ever heard. I finally got him up and into the car. I dropped him off at his house and left. He ended up in trouble with his parents but told them he was with someone else so they wouldn't tell him he couldn't hang with me anymore. I have other Drew stories I will share at a later date. 
     Drew was my best man at my wedding. This was how close we were. He was the only man I could ever talk to about a woman you know feelings and shit. Something to this day I still cant do is talk to another man about my feelings. Well time went on and we both change I had a family and he was care free, living anywhere he wanted. He even lived on a beach in mexico for a while. I envied him I never had the courage to just go and be care free. I never had the luxury either, I had kids to support. 
     Last time we were together we drank a 12 pack and told our stories to my son. My son got a kick out of how crazy we were. From time to time I read his articles in the newspaper. He is a very talented writer. I feel bad that after all the good times we had and how close we were that we dont even email each other I see his sister every now and then and always ask " how is Drew?". . 
     This seems to be a pattern with my best friends over the years. For whatever reason I loose them. 

1 comments: (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

i know what its like to lose a best friend